How should I take FOSAMAX?
These are the important things you must do to help make sure you will benefit from FOSAMAX:
1.After getting up for the day, swallow your FOSAMAX tablet with a full glass (6-8 oz.) of
plain water only.
Not mineral water
Not coffee or tea
2. After swallowing your FOSAMAX tablet do not lie down — stay fully upright (sitting or
standing) for at least 30 minutes and until after your first food of the day. Do not chew or
suck on a tablet of FOSAMAX. This will help the FOSAMAX tablet reach your stomach
quickly and help avoid irritation of your esophagus (the tube that connects your mouth with your
3. After swallowing your FOSAMAX tablet, wait at least 30 minutes before taking your
first food, beverage, or other medication of the day, including antacids, calcium supplements
and vitamins. FOSAMAX is effective only if taken when your stomach is empty.
4. Do not take FOSAMAX at bedtime or before getting up for the day.
5. If you have difficulty or pain upon swallowing, chest pain, or new or worsening
heartburn, stop taking FOSAMAX and call your doctor.
6. Take FOSAMAX once a day, every day.
7. It is important that you continue taking FOSAMAX for as long as your doctor prescribes it.
FOSAMAX can treat your osteoporosis or help you from getting osteoporosis only if you continue
to take it.
8. If you miss a dose do not take it later in the day. Continue your usual schedule of 1 tablet once a
day the next morning.