Drug InfoNet.com
Ask the Expert
Drug Information
Disease Information
Health News
Health Info
Panel Registration
Healthcare Orgs
Medical Refs
Gov't Sites
Med Schools
Special Offers

Drug Infonet provides drug and disease information for your healthcare needs. Visit our FAQ page to find answers to common health questions. Look on the Manufacturer Info page to link to pharmaceutical company pages. Click to Health Info and Health News for the latest in healthcare developments.

Drug Infonet brings this free resource to you so that you become a more informed consumer of healthcare.

Doctors' Answers to "Frequently Asked Questions" - Choosing a Specialist

These comments are made for the purpose of discussion and should NOT be used as recommendations for or against therapies or other treatments. An individual patient is always advised to consult their own physician.

Determining Which Specialist is Appropriate [posted 10/21/98]
Question: I am entering menopause and starting to get facial hair. Would you recommend that I see an OB/GYN, an endocrinologist, or a dermatologist?

Answer: Well, there are two questions-1. Is there excessive steroid production, easily tested with 24 urine tests. 2. Does it respond to drugs like spirolactone? In general, if you do not have masculization-deeping voice, larger muscles, change of your pelvic hair distribution, it will respond to spironolactone. Your physician can do this. If the 24 hour urines are high, I would see an endocrinologist or an OB who subspecialized in endocrine(fairly common in larger cities). Lastly, plastic surgery/dermatology can ruby lazer them off permanently, but it is expensive.

Back to Drug InfoNet Home Page.

Back to Medications/Pharmaceuticals main page.

FAQ Drug Info Disease Info Manufacturer Info Health Care News Health Info Become Panelist Health Care Orgs Medical References Government Sites Hospital Sites Medical Schools
Contact | Site Map | Search | Disclaimer | Mission Statement

© 1996-2005 DRUG INFONET, Inc. All rights reserved.